Broadwater Lane, Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent TN2 5RP

Tel: 01892 527588

Broadwater Down Primary School


Complaints Procedure

The school aims to be an open school. Staff are always accessible and parents are welcomed on a partnership basis and it is hoped that parental concerns can be dealt with on a normal day to day basis. It is, however, important that parents are aware of the school procedure for dealing with complaints.

Parents who have concerns will, on most occasions, be able to have these concerns resolved by contacting the class teacher. If it is inappropriate to see the class teacher, or if a parent remains dissatisfied and wishes to take the matter further, they should contact the Headteacher.

Every effort will be made but if, after contacting the Headteacher, the concern is not resolved, then the next step would be to fill in the complaints form in the appendix of the Complaints Policy to register a formal complaint. On receipt of a complaint, an immediate judgment is taken as to whether or not a full response can be given within ten working days. If time is needed to investigate the complaint and it is unlikely a full reply can be framed within ten days, then an acknowledgement is sent to the parents explaining who is dealing with the complaint and when they can expect a reply.

Complaints Policy (To be reviewed: 2024)


The usual arrangements for the treatment of complaints at Broadwater Down Primary School are used for complaints about provision made for special educational needs. We encourage parents to discuss their concerns initially with the class teacher, SENCo or Headteacher to resolve the issue, before making the complaint formal to the Chair of the Governing Body. (See Complaints Policy) If the complaint is not resolved after it has been considered by the Governing Body, then a disagreement resolution service or mediation service can be contracted. If it remains unresolved after this, the complainant can appeal to the First–tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability), if the case refers to disability discrimination, or to the Secretary of State for all other cases. There are some circumstances, usually for children who have an Education, Health and Care Plan, where there is a statutory right for parents to appeal against a decision of the Local Authority. Complaints which fall within this category cannot be investigated by the school.